Sunday, March 30, 2008

Daring Bakers: Perfect Party Cake

This was my second challenge from the Daring Bakers site and, lo and behold, I already owned the book that the recipe was from. The Perfect Party Cake is from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours. The cake part was a very nice, basic white cake, with a tiny bit of a lemon flavor. The filling in the recipe is raspberry jam, but I had a random jar of sour cherry and rhubarb jam that worked out really well. The really new part for me was the buttercream, which I think was a Swiss buttercream, rather than the Italian style I usually make. With the Italian buttercream, you whip egg whites and gently pour in hot, melted sugar. With this recipe, the sugar and egg whites are stirred together over a double boiler and then whipped. For both methods, you finish it off with tons and tons of butter. I really liked this recipe. It was a bit less involved to execute and I thought the resulting buttercream was exceptionally creamy and non-greasy. I put the stripey pattern on the sides with my new cake comb and then Will helped me come up with the pink sugar (reduced cranberry juice tossed with sugar) to decorate the top. I took the cake into work the next day and it didn't take long for it to disappear.

Perfect Party Cake - cake ingredients Perfect Party Cake - blending sugar and lemon zest Perfect Party Cake - blending sugar and lemon zest Perfect Party Cake - blending sugar and lemon zest Perfect Party Cake - mixing batter Perfect Party Cake Perfect Party Cake Perfect Party Cake - buttercream ingredients Perfect Party Cake - whipping egg whites and sugar Perfect Party Cake - assembling layers Perfect Party Cake Perfect Party Cake Perfect Party Cake Perfect Party Cake