Monday, August 22, 2005

Natural Yeast Starter

A while ago I found a couple recipes online from Bread and Cie, an amazing bakery only three blocks from my apartment. Of course, I had to try them out, but these are classy bread recipes. No powdered instant yeast for them. They want you to grow your own living yeast from scratch. Helpfully, a recipe for culturing yeast is provided, but it takes almost a week to complete and I've just now managed to get it all together. I'm about halfway through the process right now, so I wanted to post some pictures. I wish I'd remembered to take a picture before I'd thrown away the grapes (see recipe), but here's a picture of the yeast after it's been percolating for four days, and a second picture a few minutes later after I've given it its first feeding of flour and water. Tomorrow morning I'll transfer it to a larger bowl and feed it again. By tomorrow night, it should be big and bubbly enough to be turned into either Caramelized Onion Bread or Kalamata Olive Bread. Yum!

Yeast Starter - phase 1 Yeast Starter - phase 2