Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Yeast Starter - part 3

Sure enough, when I got home from work today, the starter had just started to overflow the new larger bowl. Looking at the bread recipes again, I realized that with all the rising the dough was scheduled for, it would take a minimum of 6 hours to produce anything. Even if I started right away, things would be going until past midnight. I decided the bread baking would have to wait for a free weekend day. This meant that the yeast starter would have to be put on ice. I poured a good chunk of the starter into a fresh smaller glass bowl, covered it up, and popped it in the fridge. The plan is to resuscitate it with more water and flour about a day before I decide to bake the bread. I'll be out of town this weekend, so I'm shooting for the weekend after.

Below you can see a picture of the starter when I got up this morning, expanded after its feeding last night. Then a picture of the starter transferred into the larger bowl, with the water and flour for the second feeding sitting next to it. Then a shot of the starter a few minutes later after everything's been mixed in. Finally, you can see what I found when I got home today, with the starter actually stretching out the plastic wrap covering the bowl. Scary.

Yeast Starter - end of phase 2 Yeast Starter - phase 3 - new bowl Yeast Starter - phase three - just fed Yeast Starter - end of phase 3