Monday, October 03, 2005

Teiglach

For a Rosh Hashanah dinner tonight I made teiglach, a traditional Lithuanian Jewish dessert. It's basically bits of dough cooked in boiling honey with ginger and lemon zest, then tossed with walnuts. When I called them to ask about teiglach, my family knew exactly what I was talking about, but I can't recall ever having actually eaten it myself. Thus, I am still not sure whether it turned out like it's supposed to or not. It looks pretty. The bread bits are... a little tougher than I would have liked. Maybe that's the intent. Let's assume so.

The recipe I used was from Claudia Roden's The Book of Jewish Food.

Teiglach ingredients Teiglach - mixing Teiglach - kneading dough Teiglach - shaping and cutting dough Teiglach - cooking in honey mixture Teiglach - honey simmering Teiglach